BSc, Biology, Universidade de São Paulo
MSc, Parasitology, Universidade de São Paulo
PhD, Escola Paulista de Medicina, Universidade Federal de São Paulo
Post-Doc, New York University, USA.
My interests are Evolutionary Biology, networks and complex systems dynamics. Our lab investigates five scientific problems in the fields of Microbial Genomics and Theoretical Biology:
- The origin of Trypanosoma cruzi genotype diversity using Bayesian probabilities and gene/phylogenetics networks.
- The evolutionary origin of T. cruzi with protists and the radiation of gene families and horizontal gene transfer from bacteria.
- Mitochondrial genomics as marker of Candida albicans microdversity and its implications for hospital outbreaks.
- The distribution of human alleles of dectin and toll 2 and 4 receptors and its correlation with susceptibility and resistance to fungal infection.
- The failure of the Hardy-Weinberg model associated with chi-square test and its substitution by autocorrelation functions as a means to describe and conceptualize the neutral and asymptotic equilibrium in population genetics.
Lines 1 and 3 were consolidated with our HHMI grant while line 3 with our WHO grant. Line 4 is funded by FAPESP and line 5 via CNPq in collaboration with physicists working on statistical mechanics, dynamic systems and non-equilibrium thermodynamics.
- Bartelli, T.F., Ferreira, R.C., Colombo, A.L. and Briones, M.R.S. (2013) Intraspecific comparative genomics of Candida albicans mitochondria reveals non-coding regions under neutral evolution. Infection, Genetics and Evolution, 14: 302-312.
- Bosco, F., Castro, D. and Briones, M.R.S. (2012) Neutral and stable equilibria of genetic systems and the Hardy-Weinberg Principle: Limitations of the Chi-Square Test and advantages of auto-correlation functions of allele frequencies. Frontiers in Genetics, 3: 276.
- Ferreira, R.C. and Briones, M.R.S. (2012) Phylogenetic evidence based on Trypanosoma cruzi nuclear gene sequences and information entropy suggest that inter-strain intragenic recombination is a basic mechanism underlying the allele diversity of hybrid strains. Infection, Genetics and Evolution, 12: 1064-1071.
- Cortez, C., Martins, R.M., Alves, R.M., Silva, R.C., Bilches, L.C., Macedo, S., Atayde, V.D., Kawashita, S.Y., Briones, M.R.S. and Yoshida, N. (2012) Differential infectivity by the oral route of Trypanosoma cruzi lineages derived from Y strain. PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases, 6: e1804.
- Souza, A.C., Ferreira, R.C., Gonçalves, S.S., Quindós, G., Eraso, E., Bizerra, F.C., Briones, M.R.S. and Colombo, A.L. (2012) Accurate identification of Candida parapsilosis (sensu lato) by use of mitochondrial DNA and real-time PCR. Journal of Clinical Microbiogy, 50: 2310-2314.
Full list of publications and citations:
- Coordinator of the course “Theoretical Basis of Evolution” for the graduate programs of Departments of Microbiology, Immunology and Parasitology and the Department of Health Informatics of UNIFESP.
- Coordinator of the course of Bioinformatics for the undergraduate program of Health Technologies of UNIFESP.
- Lecturer of the course Introduction to Molecular Biology for the graduate program of the Department of Microbiology, Immunology and Parasitology of UNIFESP.
- Lecturer of the Microbiology course for the undergrauate program in Biomedical Sciences of UNIFESP.