Title: Associate Professor
Laboratory: Ageing Immunology
Telephone: 55 11 5576-4848 ext. 2317
E-mail: [email protected]; [email protected]
Evaluation of the immune response in aged subjects (60-100 years old) using peripheral blood cells: proliferation, cytokines secretion, and cell phenotype after stimulation. Our research is mainly focused on T cells and Myeloid-derived suppressor cells (MDSC) with the aim to identify changes in the immunity of aged subjects in conditions such as infection, vaccination, and tumor.
CAPES PrInt – The role played by the immune system in the ageing process and alternatives for the healthy longevity in association with England (Birmingham), Germany (Tübingen), Austria (Innsbruck) and USA (Miami)
The ageing process causes changes in the immunity that are characterized by the lower efficacy in the immune response to infection and vaccination leading to increased morbidity and mortality in aged subjects. In addition, it has been reported the higher incidence of tumor and autoimmune diseases. Cells from ageing subjects are cultured in the presence of mitogens (PHA), LPS, or extract of pathogens and factors associated to the immune response are evaluated. Myeloid-derived suppressor cells (MDSC) and their effect on the immune response are also evaluated. The identification of changes occurring in the immunity during ageing will lead to individual therapies (precision medicine), schedule for vaccination campaigns, and interventions for healthy longevity.
- Topic Editor for: The Aging Immune System and Health – Frontiers in Immunology 2017 https://www.frontiersin.org/research-topics/5962/the-aging-immune-system-and-health
- Book Edition: The Ageing Immune System and Health (Valquiria Bueno, Janet M Lord, Thomas A Jackson) Springer 2016
- Cancer, Ageing and Immunosenescence. (Forones NM & Bueno V) in: The Ageing Immune System and Health – Springer 2016
- Workshop organization “Ageing and Health: how to get there?” UNIFESP 2016 in association with the University of Birmingham – FAPESP/British Council
- Alves AS, Ishimura ME, Bueno V. Parameters of the Immune System and Vitamin D Levels in Old Individuals. Frontiers in Immunology 2018; doi: 10.3389/fimmu.2018.01122
- Teixeira D, Ishimura ME, Longo-Maugeri IM, Bueno V. Biological Markers Changes at the Very Early Stage of Ageing. Is there a Gender-Related Effect? Aging Science 2015, 3:1
- Bueno V, Sant’Anna OA, Lord JM. Ageing and myeloid-derived suppressor cells: possible involvement in immunosenescence and age-related disease. AGE 2014, 36:9729.
- Baldon EJ, Marengo EB, Franco M, Starobinas N, Bueno V. Sant’Anna AO. Mycobacterium leprae Hsp65 administration reduces the lifespan of aged high antibody producer mice. Immunity & Ageing 2014; 11:6.
- Teixeira D, Longo-Maugeri IM, Santos J, Duarte YAO, Lebrão ML, Bueno V. Evaluation of renal function and immune system cells in elderly individuals from São Paulo city. Clinics 2013; 68(1): 39-44.